GIAHS for sustainable rural development
As part of the project “Building capacity: international advanced application course on GIAHS (globally important agricultural heritage systems)“, co-financed by the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS) and involving the Department of Agricultural, Food, Environmental and Forestry Sciences and Technologies (DAGRI) of the University of Florence as the implementing party and Polo universitario città di Prato (PIN) as a partner, a collaboration with Slow Food has come to life.
Within the framework of Terra Madre Salone del Gusto, a series of four webinars and a digital conference are planned with the Slow Food network around the world (Terra Madre delegates, Slow Food communities and convivia, producers participating in the event’s marketplace, etc.), with the aim of illustrating the objectives and potential of the FAO’s GIAHS Programme for the sustainable development of rural areas.
The principles on which the programme is based are explained, starting with the importance of cultural conservation, biocultural diversity and traditional production systems for the preservation of the environment and landscapes. These represent a viable alternative to the intensification of agriculture. The webinar will also explain the process for applying to be part of the GIAHS Programme.
- Dr. Marta Messa, Slow Food Europe Director
- Prof. Mauro Agnoletti, Coordinator of the “Building capacity” project
- Dr. Federica de Gaetano, Rural development and Food security Scientific Officer at Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS)
- Dr. Endo Yoshihide, GIAHS Secretariat Coordinator
- Dr. Marta Cimas, Deputy Director General of International Relations and European Affairs of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food of Spain (MAPA)
The training session is conducted in English.
Project implemented by DAGRI in collaboration with PIN and Slow Food, with funding from AICS and the collaboration of Horizons.
Event languages: EN