The Lowlands are, more than any other, the ecosystem where polar opposite food systems are so strikingly counterposed.
On the one hand, monocultures and intensive operations; on the other, diversified, small-scale farms. Different scales, different production practices, different agricultural, economic and social systems. Many of these contrasts are evident in the roots of agriculture: seeds. GMOs and traditional seeds represent two antithetical ideas of agriculture, the economy, the environment and human society. This forum is dedicated to the sustainability of traditional seeds that are, Slow Food believes, an important instrument for mitigating the climate crisis. Focusing increasingly on existing biodiversity, rather than working to develop new transgenic seeds: that’s our proposal.
Communities from across the world compare their experiences.
Access to the event is free, but must be booked in advance. Once registered, you will receive the link to participate to the event.
9:00 am session (Italian time):
:Moderator: Francesco Sottile (Italy)
- Alfie Pulumbarit (The Philippines), in charge of advocacy for Masipag (Farmer-Scientists Partnership for Development)
- Tatiana Sitnik (Ukraine), founder and coordinator of the Seed Treasury project
- Patrizia Spigno (Italy), agronomist, researcher, in charge of Slow Food Campania Presidia.
- Jordi Limón Marsa (Spain), owner and cook of two restaurants in Barcelona, promoter of a project aiming at recovering and promoting old vegetable varieties.
- Erling Frederiksen (Denmark), “No patents on seeds!” member
5:45 pm session (Italian time):
Rita Moya Azcarate (Cile)
- Sophia Kasubi (Tanzania), in charge of the Echo’s seed bank
- Melissa de Billot (South Africa), coordinator of the Rainbow corn Slow Food Presidium
- Rowen White (USA), farmer and seed keeper of the Akwesasne’s Mohawk community, activist for food sovereignty and the protection of indigenous seeds, Indigenous Terra Madre Network
- Luciano Ferreira da Silva (Brazil), agroecological grower, Cabruca cacao Presidium
- Karla Gabaldoni (Peru), Peru Free of GMOs
Event languages: IT, EN, ES, PT, RU